Thursday 22 August 2013

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang van Goethe

(4) I have made all sorts of acquaintances, but have as yet found no society

(22) we are happiest under the influence of innocent delusions

(33) Must it ever be thus, - that the source of our happiness must also be the fountain of our misery? The full and ardent sentiment which animated my heart with the love of nature, overwhelming me with a torrent of delight, and which brought all paradise before me, has now become a insupportable torment,

(34) Everything around us is alive with an infinite number of forms; while mankind fly for security to their petty houses, from the shelter of which they rule in their imaginations over the wide-extended universe. Poor fool! In whose petty estimation all things are little.


(35) My heart is wasted by the thought of that destructive power which lies concealed in every part of universal nature. Nature has formed nothing that does not consume itself, and every object near it: so that, surrounded by earth and air, and all the active powers, I wander on my way with aching heart; and the universe is to me a fearful monster, forever devouring its offspring.

No comments:

Post a Comment